Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Karate Kid (2010)

This movie centers on a young man from Detroit and his new life in the strange, new world of China. His relationships with friends, family, and a girl. And oh yeah, it focuses on his journey from normal young not-so-talented boy to The Karate Kid.

I love this film! For 2 hours and 20 minutes this film takes you on a dramatic, funny, heroic, touching, and inspirational journey that is only rivaled by past Oscar winners such as Rocky and the Blind Side. In fact this movie is every bit as good as the Blind Side and in my opinion is probably a bit better. The script was terrific and the way that HAROLD ZWART directs it you know he knew he had something great on his hands. It was shot with a perfect blend of low budget drama shots and big budget action shots. I was hooked and thoroughly surprised.

The acting, at least by the headlining stars was spot-on-gold. Jaden Smith just radiates his amazingly talented father. Not just for a pre-teen but for any actor of any age. Jaden electrifies the screen with intensity. I was stunned by his performance, just like I was with Jackie Chan’s. I never in a million years thought I would say this but, I think the supporting actor Oscar race begins right here with this action actor we’ve been laughing at for the past 15 years. This is the first movie he has done that has allowed him to show off his acting skills and he shines whenever he breaks out emotions instead of breaking out peoples teeth in kung-fu comedies.

This picture deserves to at least be considered in the Oscar race this year. It was astonishing. I wouldn’t have thought that the director of Pink Panther 2, could direct a story so epically. The performances are so real and touching that during the action finish, I couldn’t hold back the tears. Go see this. On the big screen for sure. If you are disappointed with this film then you are a lost cause. This is a beautiful movie. Jaden Smith is the future of Hollywood. I’m sure they won’t be able to capture the same greatness in a sequel but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t craving one.

No comments:

Post a Comment